AppleInsider may earn an affiliate commission on purchases made through links on our site.
Your physical or digital keyboards nowadays a limited number of character options on the surface. Withal, there are a few ways to admission accented messages, special characters, and more than on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.
The standard iOS keyboard gives you quick admission to upper-case and lower-case letters, the standard numbers, punctuation marks, and characters. There is, of grade, a plethora of other characters out at that place. You can choose from letters with umlauts to an upside-down question mark.
Yous might accept discovered the hidden special characters accidentally. If not, hither’south how to access them on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.
How to access extended characters on iPhone & iPad
Getting to extended characters is pretty simple on the iPhone or iPad.
- Open the keyboard in Messages, Notes, or another app.
- Press and hold on a specific key.
- If there are extended characters, you’ll meet a popup with a list of options
- To select a special grapheme, keep your finger pressed downwardly and swipe over to them.
- Lift up when y’all want to type the extended character
Not every key has extended characters attached to it, and unlike keys have dissimilar unique options.
Letters will generally accept diacritical marks or those accent marks on top of certain letters. They could include the umlaut in German or the tilde in Spanish.
At that place are definitely some valuable options to know, however.
- If you need a degree sign for describing the temperature, merely printing and hold on 0 (null).
- Spanish punctuation can be accessed by pressing and holding on the exclamation point or question marking
- For the writers out at that place, you can get to an em nuance or bullet signal by pressing and property on the dash
How to access extended characters on macOS
Typing on a Mac largely comes down to your physical keyboard. Apple portables will have a built-in keyboard, but desktops can be paired with a keyboard of any linguistic communication — including those with special characters baked in.
Nonetheless, if you find yourself needing to type a special character on Mac, getting to them is a like process.
- Open a text editing program.
- Tap and concord on a fundamental
- You’ll see a menu pop up with any special characters fastened to that key
- From here, you lot’ll run into numbers below each extended character. While property downward the key, printing the number to blazon the associated graphic symbol
- Alternatively, you can as well utilise the arrow keys to cycle through each special character and hit the Space bar to select one
In that location’s also another genre of “special graphic symbol” on macOS: emoji. Unlike on mobile devices like iPhones and iPads, the Mac doesn’t have an obvious way to blazon emoji characters in web browsers or non-Apple apps.
However, at that place’due south a shortcut to bring up the emoji window. Simply press
Control + Control + Infinite Bar
and you’ll see the emoji character viewing.
The character viewer is more useful than only offering easy access to emoji for texting editing apps.
By clicking on the double arrow on the right side of the character viewer, you lot can access other non-emoji special characters. Options include shapes, pictographs, bullets and stars, and technical symbols.
At that place are besides a number of more standard characters that you can quickly blazon on macOS with the proper keyboard shortcut. These are commonly used or interesting.
Shift + Option + viii
types a degree symbol
Option + 3
types a pound (British currency) symbol
Option + Shift + 2
types a euro symbol
Choice + four
types a cent symbol
Pick + G
types a copyright symbol
Option + R
types a restricted symbol
Option + 2
types a trademark
Option + 5
types a checkmark
Equally an added bonus, y’all can type an Apple logo on Macs by belongings down
Shift + Alt + Thousand.