This wikiHow teaches y’all how to enable multimedia messaging (MMS) on your iPhone. When yous have MMS enabled, you lot can transport multimedia messages, such as photos, videos, and group messages to people who don’t have iPhones, or who aren’t using iMessage. MMS, which stands for Multimedia Messaging Service, is usually enabled on your iPhone by default—however, you can only use MMS when yous’re connected to your mobile telephone service’s network.
Plough on cellular data.
If you want to send a multimedia message like a photograph, video, or group message when you’re not connected to Wi-Fi, or if yous’re want to transport it to someone who isn’t using iMessage (such as an Android user), y’all’ll need to use MMS.[i]
MMS requires using your mobile carrier, even if you lot’re continued to the internet via Wi-Fi. To turn on cellular data:
- Open the Control Center past swiping down from the upper-right corner of the home screen on iPhone X or later, or by swiping upwards from the lesser of the home screen on other models.
- If the cellular icon (the vertical antenna with two curved lines on either side in the upper-right tile) is grey, tap it to turn it greenish. If not, you’re already on the network.
- Some cellular plans don’t come up with MMS messaging, while others may charge if you lot go over a sure amount. Brand sure you check with your carrier to find out the specific limitations before sending an MMS message.
Open your iPhone’s Settings .
It’s the gray gear icon on the home screen or in your app library.
Scroll down and tap
It’s grouped in a department with other Apple apps, like Mail and Notes.
Scroll down and slide “MMS Messaging” to the “On” position .
Information technology is located in the SMS/MMS section and will plough greenish. This allows your phone to transport messages with pictures and videos using your information programme with your carrier.
- MMS is different from iMessage, which can be sent using a Wi-Fi signal when senders and recipients take iMessage enabled. It doesn’t utilize cellular data when Wi-Fi is available.
- Whatever fourth dimension yous ship a photo or other type of multimedia message to someone with an Android, information technology will ever be sent every bit MMS. If you don’t enable MMS, you lot can’t send multimedia messages to anyone with an Android or anyone with an iPhone who isn’t using iMessage.
Scroll down and slide the “Group Messaging” switch to On (green) .
This allows you to send and reply to group messages, which may require MMS if other group members aren’t using iMessage.
Cheque to come across if you tin can send an SMS message.
An SMS bulletin is a regular text message sent through your cellular network. If you tin can send an SMS merely not an MMS, it might be because the zipper is too big—carriers do limit MMS size. For example, if you lot (or the person you’re sending the message to) is using Verizon, the message must be smaller than iii.5 MB.
You’ll need to plow off iMessage to send an SMS, so follow these steps:
- Open the
- Scroll down and tap
- Slide the “iMessage” switch to the Off (gray) position.
- Render to the Messages app and endeavour to send a text-merely message to one recipient with no attachments. Did it go through?
- If the text-but bulletin went through, try sending it again with the attachment. If it all the same doesn’t go through, information technology’s probably considering the attachment is too big, or because your carrier limits MMS.
- If both SMS and MMS messages go through when iMessage is disabled, information technology’s likely because the recipient is using an Android only their phone number was once continued to an iPhone. Your iPhone may exist attempting to attempt to send messages to their iMessage account rather than their phone number with MMS. If this is the case, have the recipient contact Apple for instructions for unliking their phone number from the previously-associated iMessage account.
- Afterward testing, be sure to plough iMessage back on.
- Open the
Update your iPhone.
Yous may run into problems when your phone hasn’t been updated in a while. To update your phone, check out How to Update iOS.
Reset your Network Settings.
This will clear all of your cellular and Wi-Fi connections, potentially fixing whatsoever errors in your MMS service. But be aware that this volition clear all of your saved Wi-Fi network passwords, so you’ll have to enter them again when you connect to Wi-Fi.
Reset Network Settings. If y’all have a passcode, you lot volition be asked to enter it.
Contact your carrier.
MMS is a carrier feature, which means that your carrier manages the servers that send MMS data from your iPhone to other phones and vice versa. If you’re having persistent MMS problems, your carrier may be able to reset your MMS service on their end, fixing the connectedness outcome.
Add together New Question
The MMS tab and group settings tab are not on the bulletin settings, where tin can I find them elsewhere?
If you don’t see the MMS and group switches when you become to Settings>>Letters and scroll down, and so your plan may non support MMS or yous may demand to ready it up. Contact your carrier for more than data.
How exercise you lot actuate SMS on a Samsung Milky way S6?
On your Android device, open the Hangouts app. At the top left, tap “Menu.” Tap “Settings.” Tap “SMS.” Tap “SMS disabled” to switch the setting to SMS enabled.
How do I delete messages?
Tap and hold the message, tap “More,” and tap the trashcan icon. Tap Delete Message to ostend.
See more than answers
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to go a bulletin when this question is answered.
wikiHow Video: How to Enable MMS Messaging for iPhone
SMS only needs prison cell bespeak to send/receive, but MMS requires cell information (e.thou. 3G, 4G) on iPhones.
<b>Cheers! We’re glad this was helpful.</b><br />Looking for more fun ways to learn on wikiHow?<br />Learn near yourself with <a href=’/Quizzes’><b>Quizzes</b></a> or effort our make new <a href=’/Games/Railroad train-Your-Brain’><b>Train Your Brain</b></a> word game.
You lot can identify which protocol your iMessage is using by the colour of the bulletin. Blue means iMessage is being used, while green ways the bulletin is using SMS/MMS. Light-green messages with multimedia require cell data to be sent or received.
<b>Thank you! Nosotros’re glad this was helpful.</b><br />Looking for more fun ways to acquire on wikiHow?<br />Learn about yourself with <a href=’/Quizzes’><b>Quizzes</b></a> or try our brand new <a href=’/Games/Train-Your-Brain’><b>Train Your Encephalon</b></a> word game.
About this article
to the “On” position (if information technology isn’t already).
in the upper-left corner to get back to the previous menu.
Send as SMS
to the “On” position.
to the “On” position.
to the “On” position.
Did this summary help you?
Thanks to all authors for creating a folio that has been read 919,700 times.
Is this commodity up to engagement?