How to exercise when iPhone text messages and iMessages disappeared
Updated on Sep 19, 2022 iv:21 PM
For iPhone user, Messages app is a not bad way to chat with family unit, friends and loved ones via normal SMS messages and iMessages. You tin can send photos, videos, emojio, links, grouping letters and even voice texts. Like all conversation apps, though, Messages might sometimes get y’all into problem.
Among multiple bug regarding Messages app, you might see iPhone text messages disappearing issue that can exist an frustrating if you lot accept no inkling why this happens and how to get those letters back to inbox.
Here are some tips you can try to recover disappeared messages on iPhone.
1. When your iPhone texts disappeared, almost of the time turning off “iMessages” and “MMS Messaging” from settings, and so turning on volition restore your missing messages.
2. If that can’t work, and then make sure you have a fill-in in iCloud or iTunes (or Finder) earlier the text letters won’t show upwardly within inbox, restore from that fill-in.
3. If all attempts fail to observe the texts, try to scan your iPhone memory with iPhone Data Recovery software for retrieving disappeared messages and iMessages. Skip to Pick 6.
Earlier diving into the detailed fixes, you should make articulate what the reason your SMS messages are not showing in the inbox on iPhone.
Reasons why my text messages are missing
The particular problem of messages continue disappearing from iPhone can have several unlike potential culprits: from misconfiguration of Messages settings, to accidentally deletion of the texts, and to more complicated such every bit iOS update.
- The almost common reason is that you misconfigure the setting for how long to keep messages on your device in the by. Any change from the default “Forever” to “thirty Days” or “i Year” volition allow SMS messages and iMessages older than that period disappears.
- Information technology was an accident. There are chances that y’all might want to clear a bulletin conversation in the inbox but deleted another conversation thread you desire to keep.
- Most of iOS updates goes well, only unexpected errors can still raid your iPhone and make your letters disappeared from inbox. If you lot’re in such scenarios, your best course of action is to restore from a backup that containing the texts you demand.
- The text letters and iMessages suddenly disappeared for unknown reason.
What to do if my iPhone text messages have disappeared?
As there are a lot of things yous tin do to ready the result, it’s brash to narrow down the problem starting from the simple fixes. If you’re sure that text letters and iMessages disappearing from iPhone is related to mistaken deletion, yous should motion to Pick six to recover your lost texts through dedicated file recovery software.
First thing first, you should ascertain whether the disappeared texts are still in your iPhone storage. Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Messages, and check the amount of storage the Messages app uses. If the app’south Documents and Data nonetheless take some amount of space but you can’t notice the messages in your inbox, they may hidden somewhere in the iPhone and yous have a good chance to get them back.
Simply one notation – If you but find your old messages disappeared but the newer ones nonetheless exist, then you lot should inspect the settings related to Messages. Go to Settings, and scroll down to Messages, tap Keep Messages under MESSAGE HISTORY. Check to run across if you lot set message expiration to 30 days or 1 yr. I would recommend changing back to Forever, which keeps all your text message conversations on the iPhone permanently.
Only follow the instructions below to recover text messages disappeared all of a sudden from iPhone.
Option 1: Turning off “iMessages and “MMS messaging” and then on
Let’southward start with the simplest fix. In a rare time, iPhone messages tin suddenly disappeared when Apple’south servers are down or you’re in a bad service expanse.
Go to Settings > Letters, toggle iMessage and MMS Messaging off, waiting 15 seconds then toggle them back on.
Option 2: Restoring all setting
Resetting the settings on your iPhone seems like a cliché fix, just sometimes it works. Doing so won’t impact your data, it just revert your device’south settings back to its manufactory-default state.
To brand a settings reset, caput to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. When a notification pops upwardly, tap Reset All Settings.
Option iii: Restarting the phone
You lot can besides endeavour restarting the iPhone to troubleshoot an effect. A elementary restart can clean current state of the software and solve a lot of mirror bugs. Some users reported that after doing information technology, all messages restore. So before you endeavor anything else, restart your iPhone and see if that will get back disappeared text messages or iMessages.
For iPhone 10, eleven, 12 and newer:
Printing and concord either volume push button and the side button. When the power off slider appears, swipe the slider to turn the device off. Then press and hold the side push button until you see the Apple logo.
For iPhone SE (2nd gen), viii, seven, 6s or 6:
Press and concur the side push button. When you see the “slide to power off” slider, swipe it and wait the device to turn off. To ability on, printing and hold the side button until the Apple logo appears.
If your missing messages reappear in inbox on your iPhone, then information technology was a software trouble that cause the event. If zippo helps, go alee and try other options.
Option four: Plow off iCloud Messages and so on
Another possible remedy is check your iCloud Messages sync. If you had Messages in iCloud enabled, all your text threads is syncing to iCloud server.
Go to Settings > iCloud > Messages. Plow it off. When prompts, tap Disable and Download Messages. Wait a few seconds, then toggle Messages to On position.
Choice 5: Restoring from backup
If all simple troubleshooting steps won’t work, information technology’south time to check if your iPhone has been backed up recently before messages disappeared. Here’s how to effigy out whether you accept a backup annal in iCloud or iTunes (or Finder in Mac 10.xv+) and how to speedily restore messages from at that place:
Check iCloud backup.
Get to Settings > iCloud > iCloud Backup. This will requite your precise time of concluding successful backup. In one case yous are confident the disappeared iPhone text messages are included in the last iCloud backup, you’re able to reset your phone and restore from the backup to become your texts.
Before resetting your iPhone, make sure that you support your telephone first because after restoring, all current data will be erased.
- Go to Settings > Full general > Reset, and so tap Erase All Content and Settings. Your iPhone volition restart and set up as a new device.
- When information technology arrives to Apps & Data screen, tap Restore from iCloud Backup.
- Sign into your Apple ID that you used to create iCloud backup.
- Proceed to “Choose backup,” then select the most recent backup that contains the letters yous want to restore from the list in iCloud.
Check iTunes or Finder backup on calculator:
iTunes for Windows and Mac: Open iTunes, get to Edit (or iTunes on Mac) > Preferences > Devices. You volition encounter the date of all of your currently backup under Device backups box.
Finder for Mac: Under General, click Manage Backups, and check your list of backups.
- On Mac with macOS Catalina or higher up, open Finder; on Mac with Mojave or before or on a PC, open iTunes, and and then connect the iPhone.
- Click the device icon once information technology appears in the window.
- Select Restore Fill-in.
- Select the recent backup and click Restore. Information technology will plough back your iPhone to the state information technology was in when the fill-in was made, and your disappeared text letters along with attached photos will dorsum to inbox.
Selection six: Using a file recovery software
If you’ve tried everything to a higher place and your disappeared text messages still don’t come back, information technology’south fourth dimension to check out professional file recovery applications for iPhone. Every bit long as the missing texts that subconscious in phone internal memory oasis’t been overwritten by new data files, at that place is chance of successful recovery.
iPhone Data Recovery is smart data recovery program that tin scan your device deeply and thoroughly and find the files that are recoverable. You just connect the device to the estimator and let the plan browse the device and y’all’re off. Moreover, the program can assistance yous extract only message conversations from an old backup created with iCloud or iTunes.
Recovering disappeared text letters from iPhone is easier it seems to be with iPhone Data Recovery software.
1. Open up the program on your either Mac or PC, and connect your iPhone to the computer. When it’s detected, click “Outset Scan” to scan for deleted files on your device.
When the program has finished the procedure, you will become a summary window indicating how many files it constitute.
2. Click the “Letters” and “Messages Attachments” on the left side bar, it will display all recoverable texts on the right pane. You lot tin can preview the item data about the chat by clicking the Contact name.
three. At present, select the disappeared message threads you desire to recover from the listing, then click “Recover” located at the lesser right corner. The program will export all your selected threads and salve onto your computer.
You can echo these steps to recover other missing and deleted files from the iPhone internal memory.
Video: Steps to Restore Deleted Text Messages on iPhone
Messages icon disappeared from iPhone?
You might accidentally deleted the Messages icon from your iPhone, that doesn’t mean all your text conversations are gone forever. Actually, the pre-installed Messages app cannot be deleted. When you tap “Remove App” option, it just remove from Domicile Screen.
To restore your disappeared Letters icon to Home Screen, you can either go to App Library, discover the Messages icon and and so drag it to the primary screen, or go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Home Screen Layout to restore all the default settings for apps.