Do you need to reach someone by dialing an extension? Extensions allow companies to route callers to various departments through a unmarried phone number. Dialing an extension is simple—simply call the phone number, and enter the extension when prompted. If you lot’re feeling overwhelmed or non sure when to enter the extension, we’re here to assist! This tutorial will prove you how to punch someone’south direct extension from your landline or cell phone.
Dial the number that you lot want to
Open the dialer app and enter the number that you lot want to call.
Add a “pause” if y’all’ll be entering the extension every bit soon equally the line picks upward.
If the number you are calling allows yous to enter the extension immediately later on picking upwardly, the “pause” office will automatically enter the extension after waiting a moment:
- Printing and hold the * push to add a comma (,) to the end of the number. This symbol indicates a two-2nd pause before the extension will exist dialed. If pressing and holding the * push button does not work, tap the (⋮) button adjacent to the number and select “Add suspension.” If that doesn’t work either, tap the number field to open your on-screen keyboard, then blazon a comma.
- Y’all can add multiple commas to expect longer. This may be useful for phone systems that take a delay before yous can enter the extension.
- On Windows phones, yous’ll need to type the comma in another app, copy information technology, and then paste it to the terminate of the number.
Add together a “wait” if the extension tin only be dialed after the whole menu plays.
Some extensions cannot be entered until the entire automated menu service plays, or until a certain choice is selected. The “expect” office will display the extension on your screen and y’all’ll bespeak when information technology should be entered.
- Press and agree the # push to add a semicolon (;) to the finish of the number. This symbol indicates a “expect,” and the subsequent extension will not be dialed until you say and so.
- If you’re using a Windows phone, you’ll need to add a “w” instead of a “;”. This will need to exist copied and pasted from another app that allows you to type.
Type the extension number later your symbol.
Later on adding the expect or pause symbol, type the extension that you want your phone to automatically dial.
Phone call the number
Your phone volition dial the number. Later dialing the number, depending on the symbol you used, information technology will and so either dial the extension you entered (,) or you lot’ll be prompted to indicate when the extension should exist dialed (;).
- If you lot chose the wait (;) option, you lot’ll be able to navigate to the portion of the menu that allows you to enter the extension first. Once y’all’re in the correct office of the menu, tap “Transport” in the window to dial the extension.
Add together numbers with extensions to your contacts.
If you lot punch this extension a lot, yous can add the number to your phone’s contacts. All of the extension symbols and numbers will be saved along with it.
Dial the number as you commonly would.
You don’t have any dial pausing options with a landline, and so yous’ll just have to dial the number equally y’all normally would.
Try entering the extension as soon as the line picks up.
For many carte systems, you can outset entering the extension every bit soon as the call is picked upward. Try entering your extension now to see if information technology dials.
Listen to the menu options if your extension doesn’t work.
If yous can’t immediately dial the extension, mind to the menu options. You may have to pick an option to be allowed to enter an extension.
Add a pause and the extension to your
Some phones that have a speed punch function will also have a Pause key that you can use when programming a speed dial number. The existence and location of this button varies from model to model. If you can add pauses, enter the base number, 2 pauses, and so the extension number. Save the unabridged affair to your speed dial entry. If the number yous are calling supports entering the extension immediately, you’ll be able to apply this speed dial entry to call the extension directly.
Endeavor replacing the final digits of the base number with the extension.
If the extension is a 4-digit number, you may be able to dial it direct by replacing the last four digits of the base number with it. For example, if the company number is ane-800-555-2222, and the extension is 1234, try dialing one-800-555-1234.
Add New Question
How can I dial a number with an extension from an Android telephone?
You lot’d do this in the same mode as yous would do with an iPhone — merely instead of adding a (,) it will add a (p), indicating a suspension and for the Wait (;), it will add a (due west).
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email accost to get a message when this question is answered.
You tin can as well punch extensions when using online call providers, like Skype. Call the company number. Click the dial pad icon, which is a foursquare full of dots. Enter your extension number on the punch pad when prompted.
<b>Thank you! We’re glad this was helpful.</b><br />Looking for more fun ways to learn on wikiHow?<br />Learn almost yourself with <a href=’/Quizzes’><b>Quizzes</b></a> or try our make new <a href=’/Games/Railroad train-Your-Brain’><b>Railroad train Your Encephalon</b></a> word game.
Thanks for submitting a tip for review!
About This Article
To dial an extension number using a smart phone, start by dialing the number that yous desire to call. Then, press and concur the * push to insert a intermission, and await 2 seconds before dialing the extension. Afterward inbound your pause, type the extension number that you desire your phone to automatically punch. Finally, tap the call icon to make your call.
For tips on how to call an extension using a landline, read on!
Did this summary help you lot?
Thank you to all authors for creating a page that has been read one,512,145 times.
Is this article upward to date?